Thursday 4 November 2010

THE FUTURE: YOU SHOULD FEAR IT

This is just a small post before the long slog through old gaming history, my computer's been busted so it’s a bit late. I can’t say I know that much about technology. It’s interesting to hear from various experts on artificial intelligence and robots on their predictions about what the future will be like, but they’re just that- predictions. I think a lot of people are too naive and optimistic about what developing technology will achieve for us in the future. It’s bit like listening to Peter Molyneux, everyone seems to have a lot of ideas that sound nice, but that won’t really work. They’re nice ideas, but will they be possible? Will companies see these things as commercially viable? If technology does turn out the way they’ve predicted, it most likely won’t be this wonderful robot-human utopian paradise some envision, but the technology will end up being exploited in immoral ways, because that’s what has always happened and will continue to happen forever. Think your shirt is monitoring you to protect your health? Not really, it’s monitoring you for thoughtcrime, looking for any sign of rebellion against the state.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a cyborg boot stamping on a human face— forever.
The one thing that didn’t turn me into a cynical jerk though, was the electrode used to combat depression. I know that Chris was interested in hearing people thoughts about it, but I think most people weren’t really that fussed. The treatment means a lot to me because even though it’s a little scary that someone’s mood can be changed so drastically through a very small piece of technology, it would help so many people. I have a sister who is bipolar and it’s awful to see her miserable and not being able to function because of her brain chemistry. If something so small and simple could take all that away, I fully support it. Even if it does bring about the robot uprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment